As a general rule, the links I bring to you come to me via (a) someone on livejournal or (b) Google reader, in that order of frequency. (The exception would be the links that my ex-bf sends to me… although I don’t know if I’ve actually put up any of them on the blog yet. Hi, ex-bf!)
– sutlers discusses criticism of Avatar and the denial of native cultures’ agency in popular media. (See also: When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like Avatar? A question to which we’d all like to know the answer.)
– gabrielleabelle‘s Sunday Link Posts are a great resource for current discussion about rape in the media and blogosphere. A highlight from this week’s update is What Part of No Do You Still Not Understand? Date Rape in the time of Kobe, roofies, and Girls Gone Wild, a surprisingly level-headed discussion of date rape in a major news publication (LA Weekly). I am so sad that I just typed that. Good breakdown of the Koss study and more recent corroborating research, although bad dismissal of male survivors.
– rm updates frequently with links that are moderately random but always interesting: topics include but are not limited to fandom, glbt issues, sexism, racism, representation of women in the media, infuriating things in the NYT (often a subsection of the previous topics), and Torchwood. She is a writer, actor, independent scholar, and professional badass, so I doubly recommend her journal.
– Not exactly political but brought a huge smile to my face: Things I Learned From Holly by theuglyvolvo. Truly lovely, rich piece about pomegranates and the process of peeling them. Also, life, you know, that stuff. Tragically standard warnings about heteronormativity apply.
– Now I want to write a poem that rhymes “heteronormativity” with “nativity.” Sadly, that is beyond the scope of this blog post. (Or maybe a rap number? Does one of y’all DJ? Perhaps we should ask Victor…)
I’m having one of those weeks where I keep visualizing cases and correspondingly have a burning need to use prepositions correctly. Lingua latina, meos soxores non roxaris. (Were you aware that “r0x0r” is a deponent verb? Well… it is now.)
Further posts of substance may have to wait until after Christmas, but of course now that I’ve said that I’ll end up posting something anyway. EITHER WAY… if you’re celebrating a holiday now, I wish you a lovely one!